Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in Ma

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May
From: Darryl Holman <djholman@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 23:47:47 -0700
Wait...the proposed new date for a UHF contest is " [t]he weekend that includes the first Sunday of May"?!?

That is also the weekend of the New England QSO Party (starts 4pm EDT), the 7th call area QSO party (6am PDT), the Delaware QP (1pm EDT) and the Indiana QP (11am CDT). That totals 16 states! This means hams in 16 states will have to decide which contest to primarily play in.

I have only participated in the ARRL UHF contests as a Limited Rover and have only participated in the 7QPs as a mobile station. I love both contests, but, frankly, I would probably chose to be /M in the 7QP over /R in the UHF contest. It is a big deal in 7-land. I make 3 times the QSOs in the one 18-hour day. I believe the 7QP is only behind California in participation for state/regional QSO parties. And since INQP, NEQP and 7QP have "reciprocal" QSO scoring, these three contests almost make a national QP. N1MM has a special mode for people to play in all three simultaneously.

The ARRL is proposing to increase participation in a contest where 174 logs were submitted last year (and has never produced more than 250 logs) by competing against the 7QP (579 logs in 2015, 6,524 participants), the NEQP (414 logs in 2015), the INQP (260+ logs in 2015), and eight or nine other contests as well. That just doesn't make any sense.

It seems the only justification for moving the contest date is to make it more attractive for rovers. But more than a few rovers also do HF mobile contests. So, I expect moving the UHF contest to this date could actually hurt rover participation. The same might be true for people who enjoy undertaking portable operations.

Also, there happens to be a Microwave sprint scheduled this year on that weekend. The ARRL would sort of be usurping the date of the microwave sprint.... Seems rather rude.

When you submit your comments to the ARRL, please consider mentioning the conflicts with other contests for the proposed weekend.

Best,
  Darryl
  ww7d