Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in Ma

To: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:33:25 -0600
John - Scuttlebutt has it that the committee received some comments that it was
too hot to rove in August.

Having roved in the heat of the AZ and NM deserts, and in the heat and humidity
of Minnesota in the UDF contest, I do not share this view. Perhaps it is too
hot to rove in the Death Valley, where it is a bit hotter, but it seems like
the trade off between more comfortable roving in some areas with the tropo that
the midwest gets in August, and doesn’t get in May is a poor one. I hope that
the committee elaborates on this.

I am against moving the UHF contest to May.

Again, it helps us to formulate our thoughts and opinions by expressing them
and responding to others on the various reflectors, but one really should post
comments to the committee submission:

< vhf-input@arrl.org >

Lots to digest and think about. Do that and make your opinions known to the
committee. - Duffey KK6MC

On Apr 14, 2016, at 6:01 PM, John Geiger via VHF <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu> wrote:

> What was wrong with the first weekend in August that required a date change?
>
> 73 John AF5CC
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Keith Morehouse via VHF <
> vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> Oops...weekend BEFORE Mothers Day....
>>
>> Keith J Morehouse
>> via MotoG
>> On Apr 14, 2016 5:02 PM, "Keith Morehouse" <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Per today's 'ARRL Letter', the League is looking for comments on the
>>> proposed rules for the replacement UHF test.
>>>
>>> Proposed items include:
>>>
>>> *Held in May, over Mothers Day weekend.
>>>
>>> *No EME QSOs.
>>>
>>> *Team contesting.
>>>
>>> *Scoring highly skewed toward microwave bands.
>>>
>>> Comments due by first week in June.
>>>
>>> Jay W9RM
>>>
>>> Keith J Morehouse
>>> via MotoG