Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest tips, tricks, and techniques

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest tips, tricks, and techniques
From: Duane - N9DG via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:06:48 -0700
Marshal,

I am curious if you have been able to tell how many, if any, of those who
attended your class actually took the next step to get on the air and operate?
If some have, then it will be interesting to see how many more times that they
will get on in the future.

Contacts come from people getting on to begin with. No amount of strategy, or
rules changes to allow one thing or another, or adding new lower barrier
categories will actually improve things if a sufficient number of people simply
don't get on to operate.

But yet efforts like yours, and the various rule tweaks to entice newcomers has
consistently failed to change the trends for participation upward. It is almost
as if no one has even tried anything at all. And I for one am at a total loss
to comprehend why that should be, especially so when you consider that there
are 10's of thousands more VHF/UHF SSB/CW capable radios already in the hands
of a lot of people out there than there were 15+ years ago.

It sometimes seems like VHF weak signal contesting is just too hard for most
people, and yet all of the things that now makes it easier and less expensive
than ever before has also removed much of the thrill that VHF weak signal has
always been for those who like challenges. It really does seem like VHF weak
signal and VHF contesting are now stuck in a no win paradox.

Duane
N9DG