Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest tips, tricks, and techniques

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest tips, tricks, and techniques
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:53:18 -0500
I've found through years of experience as a Single-Op (QRP) Portable that
if you are running 10 watts or less, or if you do not have the best
antennas, calling CQ in CW will allow you to be heard by more distant
stations. Also, answering an SSB station in CW if he doesn't hear you on
SSB or can't quite copy you is often successful. In most VHF contests it's
OK to do cross-mode QSO's. And of course, call CQ for a bit pointed in one
direction, then nudge your beam 30 or 45 degrees and call some more,
keeping at it while covering all areas of the compass.

73, Zack W9SZ