Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Infusion

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Infusion
From: Jerry <jer.sieg@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:53:17 -0600
Its a 'tough sell' any way you look at it ! When I was first licensed 30yrs ago.. I was interested in 2M SSB/CW..and my response from the Club Members was 'Nobody uses that'..2M is used for FM and Repeaters Only ! So, years later..(and a few more $$) I decided to 'give it a go anyways ! When they heard I was working numerous grids on 2M, 6M E was a 'Treat' too ! They all decided to try it ! When they would call me on local club Rptr..and say "I don't hear anything" (but they could hear my Rigs in the background..)! Most just 'Gave Up' ! Probably using HF Antenna's, etc..! When I explained what I was using, offered help..they went back to HF and their Vee's, Tri-banders and Dipoles ! Has always been 'Very Quiet' on the bands for me in these parts ! I once mentioned some EME contacts on 2M using a 300W Mirage.."Wow..you should have heard all the "No One needs 300W on 2M" ! Then, fortunate for me..a fella Op' who was somewhat informed of that stuff.. was nothing but 'Compliments' ! "Never knew anyone in these parts did that stuff..Please keep us posted" ! He then went on and explained to the Group that some use Kw's and More on 2M... Jerry is 'enjoying the part of the Band we never even considered' ! Numerous requests for Club Demo's, etc.. That's what makes the 'Off Season' I guess we can call it.. 'Fun' !
Jerry
VE6CPP
DN39or
p.s. Shared a CW QSO a couple years back with EA7KW IM67xi (4952.1 mi (7969.7 km) on CW.. most came back with 'I don't know CW..so can't copy that' ! :-(