Re: [VHFcontesting] Total newbie questions about 2m and 70cm antennas an

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Total newbie questions about 2m and 70cm antennas and receive filters
From: "Barry Hansen" <barry@k7bwh.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:41:20 -0700
I've had a very rewarding time with an FT-897d on hilltops. When stationary,
I use a push-up mast on the trailer hitch, with 7-el on 2m, and just two or
three elements on 6 and 432. It's probably not surprising with this
combination that 2m is my bread-and-butter band.  When driving during
contests, I've had good results with a stack of VHF loops. If you're ever in
the Pacific Northwest, find some good hilltops at www.k7bwh.com/rover.html.

For HF, my experience has been that the FT-897 works extremely well in quiet
locations. But the front end, stock without filters, is overloaded in a band
full of big guns.

Barry K7BWH
Seattle CN87xn