Re: [VHFcontesting] VUCC and LoTW Update

To: VHF Contesting List <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VUCC and LoTW Update
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:04:22 -0500
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:07, GeorgeF. <av8tor@flash.net> wrote:

> I usually buy a new computer every 1 to 2 years.  After having LoTW
> installed on 1 computer, then upgrading to a new computer the process was
> simply too complex so I quit LoTW.
>
> I'm not sure why LoTW's security process is harder/more complex than trying
> to access my bank account!  If only they would do away with the silly
> procedure of waiting for a postcard to come in the mail!!

Ah, the old "too complicated" meme.

All you are doing is putting your signature on your log, i.e. giving
your word that the log is accurate.  Since your log is not on paper
and since ink won't go through the internets (yet), you sign with a
digital "pen" in the form of a certificate that contains your key.

If you really want to dig through it, it's Public-Key Cryptography
Standard #12 (.p12 sound familiar?) and details are here:
http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2138

In order for that to all have some shred of credibility, the ARRL (who
are the "certificate authority" in this case) has to make sure that
you are you.  In the US, that's easy - they just send a post card to
your FCC address.  For non-FCC-governed hams, it's more complicated
(although the League could drastically simplify this by using DXCC
Card Checkers).  Once they know you are you, then they issue you a
certificate.  That goes into TQSL and you can then sign any log.

If you are requesting a post card every time you reinstall TQSL, you
are doing it wrong.  You can export a p12 certificate (which you
should do as a backup anyway!), move it to the new system, and
re-import.  No need to get an entirely new

AA6YQ has excellent instructions here:
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLingLotW which include,
specifically, how to move your cert from one PC to another.  (note
that 99% of the stuff here is NOT specific to the DX Lab Suite ...
which everyone should use anyway ... :-).