Re: [VHFcontesting] UHF Contest comments?

To: Joe Serocki <joeserocki@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] UHF Contest comments?
From: Eric Christensen <eric@christensenplace.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:08:17 -0400
On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 19:00 -0500, Joe Serocki wrote:
> With the upcoming UHF contest, anyone want to start any sort of discussion?
>
> I finally have the Rover ready, and did some testing. I was amazed at the
> direction-ability (is that a word?) of the Directive Systems 144 and 432
> beams, even the shorties (I use the six foot ones), and the gain seemed
> pretty substantial as well.
>
> I have permission to use a high perch near my house, figured I would run out
> a bit and see who is on. I don't think I will qualify as a /R as I probably
> won't be doing more than one grid square, but we will see how ambitious I
> get.
>
> What other plans are out there?

Hi Joe,
IF things go as planned, I'm going to try to hit Skyline Drive in
Shenandoah National Park (VA) with 432 and 1296.  Not sure if my 432
beam (15 feet) will be travel worthy but my only alternatives are a loop
and a vertical.  I will have my Directive Systems 6-foot "loop" yagi
with me for 1296 so I should be active on that.  Will try to do /R from
a few spots over the weekend.  Will be active on APRS (W4OTN-9).  Just
look for the rover!

73,
Eric W4OTN