Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Activity and otherwise in June ARRL VHF

To: Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Activity and otherwise in June ARRL VHF
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:50:54 -0600
Steve Thanks for the comments on my post. I made my post on the
contest activity before the claimed scores were posted, so I did not
know about W6YLZ's impressive score.

I don't agree with you that W6YLZ's score is impossible without grid
circling, but I am very impressed with his score without the microwave
QSO points. Visiting a lot of grids, making sure that there are
stations on the different bands in different grids to work when you
are there, and lots of Es can all lead to a big score without grid
circling. There is certainly no blatant evidence of grid circling in
the logs received posts. I am not sure why there is any reason to
suspect it.

I ind it hard to believe that the participants in a 4 or 6 or 8
station coordinated rover effort would not submit logs. So if there
was a coordinated effort, I suspect that it was done with fixed or
portable stations. But I am not convinced that a grid circling effort
was required to achieve that score.

With Es, if the band is open a lot, 200 + contacts in 100+ grids are
possible. This would put the limited rover in the 100,000 point
category, as long as a sufficient number of contacts were made on the
upper bands in a reasonable number of grids.

I think we should wait until the results are published before we decry
W6YLZ's efforts. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey