Re: [VHFcontesting] Nevermind

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Nevermind
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:12:09 -0800 (PST)
I disagree, it *can* work.

In your case it obviously didn't, and I have experienced the exact same thing
you describe in the past. But by also piling onto 144.200 you (and the others
sitting .200) likely (or could have) missed yet other Q's that you could have
made. I see this play out in almost every contest when I point toward Chicago
from 150 miles away. There is invariably a crowd on .200, just about everyone
of them are the casual or newbie ops who were told that "VHF contesting =
sitting on the calling frequencies". In many cases I can hear most of them just
fine, but they will often not hear me no matter what I do or how often I call
on .200, they simply can't hear me because they are buried in a sea of signal
splatter from all the other locals on their end. If they were to tune 25-50 kHz
away from .200 they would have found me and be able to work me with no problems
at all. And if an even longer haul DX station was also clinging to .200 they
large urban center crowd would
 not hear them either. Most of my truly long haul Q's to the far away big guns
and multis are usually not on .200, in fact to find them there is somewhat rare…

So what to do about it? Well, I have found a fair degree of success of putting
out CQ's on .200 when my "preferred frequency" becomes unproductive, but
announce as part of that CQ that I'll be taking responses to my CQ on a freq
25-50 KHz up or down the band. Does it work on every call? No. But many times I
get a small group to follow me up or down to my preferred freq and I can work
that small group where they can hear me good and I can work them easily with
out having to fight a pile of QRM. Some rovers in this area also do a similar
thing. All in all I think it is a good strategy that helps spread the ops out a
bit and it also helps to teach the casual and newbie ops that clinging to .200
isn't truly a good strategy. So in essence am I treating .200 as a "calling
frequency", but strive to actually *work* others elsewhere.

Everybody's radio has VFO on it, please turn it, .... and turn it a lot...

Duane
N9DG (who sat out this contest)
EN53bj