Re: [VHFcontesting] Grid Circling Group & VUAC

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Grid Circling Group & VUAC
From: Joe Taylor <joe@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:02:38 -0400
Ron, and all --

Yes, the VUAC is an *Advisory* committee.  No, it does not directly
advise any salaried employees of the League.

The VUAC was created by the ARRL Board of Directors.  Directors are
elected by the League membership.  The VUAC reports back to the Board
through its Programs and Services Committee (PSC).  In the end, the
Board sets League policies, including contest rules.

In most cases, like the case we under discussion here, the Board's
advisory structure is several layers deep.  Important sources of input
for setting VHF/UHF contest rules include the membership at large, the
VUAC, and the PSC.

Every ARRL Division has a representative on the VUAC, and there is one
for Canada as well.  It has been my privilege to represent the Atlantic
Division, and I have received and benefited from thoughtful input from
many League members in my Division.

The hard-working salaried employees at ARRL do not set League policy,
and they do not set the contest rules.  They are, however, responsible
for implementing League policies, including contests.

Obviously it is advantageous for consultation to taks place between
those who make recommendations and set the rules, and those who must
implement them.  I can assure you that such consultation does take place.

-- 73, Joe, K1JT
Atlantic Division Representative, VUAC