Re: [VHFcontesting] IC-706 Cross Mode Operation

To: k1ep@mgef.org, "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] IC-706 Cross Mode Operation
From: "Tom Mayo" <n1mu-vhf@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:44:57 -0400
Ed and group,

That's what I want to do.  When I first tried "Quick Split" (hold SPL
down for 2 seconds), it forced the mode to USB on VFOB to match VFOA.
Thanks to your recommendation, I perservered with this tactic...

Today I noticed that I can activate Quick Split, then go to VFOB,
change the mode to CW-R, then go back to VFOA and now the modes stay
different with split active.  Keying is interesting.  I haven't tried
it with paddles yet, but with the mic's up/down keying capability, I
have to key the PTT on the mic AND send CW.  Maybe with paddles I
won't need to do that.  I'll check and see.

I think if I put a split of +1 kHz, the other station will hear me ok
on CW.  1 kHz seems to be the minimum non-zero preset split possible.
I have to do an on-the-air test to see if I need the offset or not.  I
assume the CW signal gets transmitted at the carrier frequency and not
offset from it, whereas for USB, the carrier frequency is zero-beat
and I don't think the other station would hear my CW.

Now to release this mode, I just press SPL and I'm back to normal.  To
re-enter this mode, I have to hold SPL for 2 seconds and again change
the mode on VFOB.  I guess that's a lot easier than the other way!

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Tom, N1MU.

Tom Mayo - N1MU - http://tom.2ub.org