[VHFcontesting] Compact VHF+ beams

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Compact VHF+ beams
From: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
I am curious as to what everyone here thinks along the lines of compact VHF+
beams. I can't use the normal beams I have for VHF+ at the house because I
can't put them outside and there isn't enough space to turn them in the attic.

I have resorted to using my Cushcraft A270-10s for 2m/70cm and one of two wire
HF antennas through a manual tuner and the auto tuner on my radio. Obviously
the wire antennas are a pretty poor way to get on the band, but I have made
contacts with them.

I was looking at the hexbeam by wb3bel http://wb3bel.googlepages.com/ for 6m. I
might be able to sqeeze something like that in the attic. What do you think?

Another issue would be the proximity of the 2m/70cm beam. I  might have to
scrap that one in favor of 6m as I don't have the space to spread the antennas
out. Would there be any way of incorporating 2m and 70cm in to one hexbeam
without destroying the pattern/performence completely? I know that is like
asking dirt to turn to gold but hey, Ill ask anyway HI!

Steve, KC8QVO