Re: [VHFcontesting] inverters

To: Robert Cumming <w2bzy@cfl.rr.com>, <k4gun@comcast.net>, "dbubke@juno.com" <dbubke@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] inverters
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:12:56 -0700

DC to AC inverters make a lot of hash.  I have tried ferrite beads, putting the
inverter in a faraday box and grounding it to the chassis ect….  I don’t know
if it is because the rf hash goes out of the dc input lines as well as the ac
lines out.  I used a 2kw Coleman inverter with the hopes of running a sb 200 6
meter amp in the rig for power as well as vehicle heat and cooking.  I tossed
the inverter bought a DC amp and never looked back.

There has been good discussions about this in the past on here and you might
browse the archives.  Many people have invested in small Honda generators that
are hash free but 200 percent more expensive and half of the output of their
rivals.

There are battery boosters that go up to 40 some amps.  After some thought I
would recommend this option if you are only using one battery.  You should use
a battery separator (by the way) so you don’t drain the car and cant stop it.
I will buy one for just my 736 and 897 and leave the amps dirrect connected.

Some rotors are DC voltage controlled and two small 12 volt lawn mower
batteries could be used to run the rotor and your compass and eyeball would be
the rotor.

I personally forgo the rotor and opt for the steering wheel and a large turning
radius with everything on a big rack.

Many DC_DC converters for laptops generate noise.  If one was serious, you
would have to take a rfi noise detector to the store with you before you bought
the lap top.  I have tried lap top roving and it’s only good if you have a
partner.

Plan B might be 3 large 6 volt batteries to supply 18 volts to the lap top and
or rotor.  Or something to buck the voltage up there.

Also by your power requirements, you need 2 batteries.  I use 4 aux batteries
to power up 400 watt amps to produce a reliable signal. The amps don’t like low
voltages either.

K3uhf