Re: [VHFcontesting] SDR1000 vs 6m xvtr

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] SDR1000 vs 6m xvtr
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:58:01 -0800
Thanks for your response Russ.  Since I think you were the only person (I
think) to reply to the reflector I will reply here also.  Your response
seems to be the consensus of the several replies I received.  Good info to
know.  I was pretty much expecting to run the transverter for the extra
drive power for the amp, but if the SDR RX was superior on 6, I would have
gone that route.  My SDR-1000 should be here Friday and while I primarily
purchased it to try some of the new weak signal DSP applications for EME, I
am hoping that this IF strip will exceed the capabilities of my current
756PRO's.  Strong signal and NB issues are a weakness in the 756PRO on 6
meters.  I used to run a TS-830 + DEMI transverter, but switched to the
PROs for all the extra features they offered, but I had to accept those two
limitations.

That isn't to say that the 756PRO is trash.  The noise blanker is good, but
doesn't compare to a rig with an excellent blanker.  The PRO does not deal
well with multiple 20db +S9 signals especially when using dual watch.
Unfortunately, this is common in band openings or when K6MYC is your
neighbor.  Not ready to part with my two PROs yet though.

If I forgot to respond privately to any direct responses, thank you for
your input.