Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving rules questions

To: k4gun@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving rules questions
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:21:55 -0800
On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 06:32:04PM +0000, k4gun@comcast.net wrote:

> So far, so good, but here's where I have problems.  Nowhere in any previous
> contests do I see the Limited and Unlimited classes separated in the scoring
> tables.  They are not recognized as having any distinction.  If one digs deep
> enough, one can find which bands a station was operating on by searching the
> "Printable Line Scores" and if one looks in the "log submissions", they can
> find what power level a person used, but nowhere are these recognized as
> being in different classes.

The separation of the rovers into two classes is a very recent (as in this
month) change in the rules.  In previous contests, there was only one rover
category.

> Ignoring the obvious question of why the two classes are combined, I then
> have to ask about rule 2.3.8.  Under rule 2.5, Unlimited is exempt from rule
> 2.3.8 which is the 100 contact limit.  However, the division of the rover
> classes looks like an afterthought.  In reality, there is no Limited and
> Unlimited classes.  If Unlimited doesn't exist, all rovers are then bound by
> rule 2.3.8.  At least that's what makes sense to me.

It's not an afterthought - it's a very recent change.  It remains to be
seen what the unforeseen consequences of the changes will be.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com