[VHFcontesting] Roving rules questions

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Roving rules questions
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:32:04 +0000
This is my first submission to this list and I hope I have used the correct
form.

My questions have to do with the ARRL rules regarding different classes of
rovers.  In the general VHF rules section, rules for rovers are defined in
section 2.3 through 2.3.8.  Rule 2.3.8 is particularly interesting in that it
bans rovers from contacting any one other rover station more than 100 times in
a single contest.  I'm sure this is to prevent 10 band stations from traveling
in a convoy to rack up a million points by just switching positions on a 4
square.  With this rule, a couple of 10 band operators wouldn't make it through
a single 4 square area without exceeding the limit.

Rule 2.4 and 2.5 then expands the rover definition to divide up between Limited
and Unlimited.  Like the single op class, Limited is limited to less than 200
watts and no more than 4 bands while Unlimited is not.

So far, so good, but here's where I have problems.  Nowhere in any previous
contests do I see the Limited and Unlimited classes separated in the scoring
tables.  They are not recognized as having any distinction.  If one digs deep
enough, one can find which bands a station was operating on by searching the
"Printable Line Scores" and if one looks in the "log submissions", they can
find what power level a person used, but nowhere are these recognized as being
in different classes.

Ignoring the obvious question of why the two classes are combined, I then have
to ask about rule 2.3.8.  Under rule 2.5, Unlimited is exempt from rule 2.3.8
which is the 100 contact limit.  However, the division of the rover classes
looks like an afterthought.  In reality, there is no Limited and Unlimited
classes.  If Unlimited doesn't exist, all rovers are then bound by rule 2.3.8.
At least that's what makes sense to me.

I'm very new at this.  The January contest will be my first serious effort at
roving and contesting in general so I am aware that there are a number of
things of which I am ignorant in this regard.  Can somebody shed some light on
why the Limited and Unlimited class distinction has been ignored?  Can somebody
clear up this 100 contact issue for rovers as well?  I was lead to believe that
a number of stations exceed that limit with regularity and that's actually part
of their contest plans.  Why is that allowed in light of rule 2.3.8?