Re: [VHFcontesting] water damage

To: "John D'Ausilio" <jdausilio@gmail.com>,<VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] water damage
From: "David Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:35:02 -0000
A real bummer, John.
    This from a guy who just lost his 30 KW generator, had his house hit by
lightning, and then had his two beagles run off and have one of then
peppered with buckshot.
Back in the late 60's and early 70's I was in the signal corps in Germany. I
got a nice tour of the Army Pirmasens Depot Maintenance facility. (The
manager was a German national and a ham)  I saw them giving the electronics
stuff a hot water/ steam bath, and then they put it all under heat lamps or
oven heaters to dry it all out immediately. The secret was to remove the
water fast after the cleaning.  I know ham gear is not MIL Spec so some
precautions would be advisable for non potted stuff like transformers and
meters, but along those lines, I am using a Collins HV (3600 vac @ 1 amp
continuous) transformer here that was found in a junk yard in a puddle of
mud.  We took it apart, and baked it for two weeks with a big flood light.
It worked fine after that. I have been running it ever since. That was about
41 years ago.
    If it was fresh water, you may have a chance to rejuvenate some of it
with a bath and quick dry!  The heliax stuff should be recoverable.

Dave K1WHS