Re: [VHFcontesting] vhf/uhf activity

To: wa4kxy@bellsouth.net, ac5tm@bellsouth.net,'Zack Widup' <w9sz@prairienet.org>, 'Lee Kemp' <n5tiflk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] vhf/uhf activity
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:51:47 -0800 (PST)
--- Jim Worsham <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I stick by my
> observation, Technicians in this area (Atlanta/North
> Georgia) do not do VHF+
> weak signal.  The vast majority of VHF+ weak signal
> operators in this area
> are higher class operators.

Pretty similar in my area.  We have some Technicians
in my area who do 6 meters, but very few on bands
above that (weak signal wise)but most only care about
APRS and FM.  That is all the local club here cares
about as well.  When I teach the propagation part of
our Technician class, I stress VHF/UHF SSB over and
over again, but it really only catches a few for 6m.

> Third, I have done the presentation at the local
> radio club thing.  I still
> do it on occasion.  Frankly, it has not been very
> productive.  At one
> meeting when I started talking about tropo I was
> asked if that was the same
> thing as "skip".

We tried that, with similar results.  Everything the
ARRL and most local clubs publish/discuss in terms of
VHF is completely aired at FM and packet.  Look at the
"Now Your Talking" book published by the ARRL.  Very
little mention of SSB/CW activity on the VHF/UHF
bands.

Wish 6 meters would hurry up and open to skipland!

73s John W5TD