Re: [VHFcontesting] question about portable operator class

To: David Ashworth <fathom@dslextreme.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] question about portable operator class
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:18:59 -0500 (CDT)
Hi David,

You can do either of the scenarios you mentioned as a portable op.  I've
been operating QRP Portable in VHF contests for quite a few years now. In
my case, I stuff equipment for 10 bands into a Toyota Corolla and drive to
a hilltop and set up.

Portable operating has its advantages and disadvantages. The big advantage
is the elevation if you can find a good hill.  I found one I have been
using for the last couple years that is the highest point in my area and
offers 360 degree view of the horizon. You only have to get your antennas
10 feet or so off the ground on a good hill.  So coax losses are also far
less.

Also, provided your hill isn't filled with commercial towers (and my
favorite one isn't) you will experience less QRM and QRN from commercial
sources there.

But you can't expect to hear and work everything you'd work with a 100+
foot tower and 100+ watts.

And you're right; there are no extra points given for being in that
category.  If you don't have a huge tower filled with antennas at
home, it's worth a try and very enjoyable.  I operated the January contest
from a hilltop and the view was spectacular when everything was covered
with frost.

73, Zack W9SZ