Re: [VHFcontesting] IC-7000? (was: Re: / [VHF] Best contesting rig)

To: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>,vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] IC-7000? (was: Re: / [VHF] Best contesting rig)
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:18:34 -0700
Well, I used an Icom 7000 during last January's sweeps. On
two meters ONLY.  It is a VAST improvement over the 706 Mk
2 G, at least in terms of RX performance. Sensetivity,
selectivity, are right up there with my FT 897.  One will
first note how quiet the RX is on 2 meters...  My
suggestion on a quiet band is to leave the volume in the
rig DOWN, even with the DSP NR OFF!  Even weak signals that
don't register on the S meter will blow you out of the room
if you turn up the volume to hear the background noise.

Unlike the noisy PLL in the '706, the one in the '7000 is
reasonably quiet. Transmitting did not take out all the
rest of the bands in the Unlimited Multioperator Rover
rig...
like the '706 did... so it now operates in my singleop "Joe
706" rover vehicle.

It has many "bells and whistles" useful to the VHF
contester, that would make the rig suitable for even fixed
operation, like the ability to export the display onto (or
into) any device that uses NTSC video.  Like your
wall-sized flat screen monitor, for example.  The whole FD
site could see what that operator was up to.  With a
Picture-in Picture display, one could run the radio display
in the "sub" input, and the contest logging software on the
"main" display. Pretty Cool, huh.  The built-in NTSC TV
reception would make using it with ATV a snap!

Now for the complaints:  The IF DSP is still not quite
there yet.  It thinks weak signals buried in the noise but
still audible ARE noise and will remove them with the
noise. OOPS!!!
It still uses that same klunky menu system borrowed from
the Icom 706... which I HATE!!!

So, there you go...
Eric
KB7DQH