[VHFcontesting] IC-7000? (was: Re: / [VHF] Best contesting rig)

To: vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] IC-7000? (was: Re: / [VHF] Best contesting rig)
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:52:14 -0500
It's starting to sound like a consensus that the 706IIg leaves a lot to be
desired (I've never personally owned one and any "play time" I've had with
one was minimal so this is just based on my summary interpretation of the
other posts).

I DO have an FT-100D which has been a good performer but let's not forget
the large number of these that have had failure of the 144/432 PA and the
devices are no longer available (or in VERY LIMITED) supply...and "knock
wood"...it hasn't happened to mine I HOPE I'm not tempting "Murphy" to pay
me a visit.

The QUESTION is...how did ICOM do with the IC-7000? Sounds like they set a
low hurdle with the 706IIg.

Is there anyone who has had VHF/UHF Contest or "weak signal" experience with
the IC-7000 who can share that with the reflectors?

ALSO "wondering out loud" what kind of pricing might be available at Dayton
for the IC-7000. Looks like "every" dealer is still holding to the $1499.95
price (even down to the 95 cents except for AES which shows $1499.99). The
only "break" that I am aware of so far is that AES *was* knocking $50 off
during their "Superfest" back on March 31 and April 1.

73, JK