Re: [VHFcontesting] e: [VHF] Best contesting rig

To: John Geiger <ne0p@lcisp.com>, Dan Brown <brown@brauhaus.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] e: [VHF] Best contesting rig
From: "John Geiger (NE0P)" <ne0p@lcisp.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:57:07 -0500
Now I will agree that the 706MKIIG, as well as the other micromobiles (FT100D,
FT857, FT897) are very good values and great ways to get on VHF/UHF at a very
reasonable price.  I have used them for exactly that purpose, as well as HF
work.  However, it is far from the "best" VHF/UHF contesting rig in most
people's minds and situations.  Compared to the Yaesu FT100D, it isn't even the
best micromobile HF/VHF/UHF rig for contesting-the front end of the FT100D
blows it away.

I tried a 706MKIIG in the 2004 ARRL RTTY Roundup (hardly a major contest) on
HF.  It overloaded so badly (and this was with the preamp off) that it became
useless.  Now I wasn't using high stacked monobanders either where the antenna
gain killed it-just a fairly low 2 element miniquad.  I ran a FT100D in the
2002 10 meter contest to the tune of 850 QSOs without a problem.

In terms of casual contesting, the Icom 718 is a great value in an HF rig-DSP,
built in keyer, easy to use for less than $550, but I don't think anyone would
consider it the "best" contest rig for HF.  Of course it is better than having
no contest rig at all.

In many cases a 706MKIIG will work just fine for VHF contesting, especially if
you live where I do, where QRM on 2 meters is just a dream at this point.
However, it isn't the "best" by a long shot.

73s John NE0P

From: Dan Brown <brown@brauhaus.org>
Date:  Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:45:57 -0400 (EDT)