Re: [VHFcontesting] A quasi-history of roving

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A quasi-history of roving
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:10:10 -0700
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:36:46 -0400
 "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I don't want to get into the middle of this but since the
> Fall Sprints have been mentioned I have one
> comment/question.  Yes, we use the original rover rules
> in the fall sprint.  One problem though.  We get almost
> no rover submissions.  We get maybe one or two for each
> band.  So if the original rover rules are all that great
> then why don't the rovers operate in the sprints?
>
> 73
> Jim W4KXY
> SVHFS Fall Sprint Chairman

Short answer- time...not enough of it.
Long answer- I have rovered the various sprints- takes a
bit of prior planning.  I have also operated from home, and
done portable operations near home.
Roving-- helps to have a grid line or corner nearby.
 Fortunately, a grid corner exists an hour to an hour and a
half from home, and the work QTH is actually in between
home and the grid corner.  So, drive the fully equipped
rover rig to work, then, after work, grab dinner, head for
one corner of the corner,  work the sprint, head home.
 Makes for a long day, but still fun for everyone.  Also
helps to have a fully equipped rover rig fully equipped
full time.

Weekend sprints, like the microwave and 6 meter events are
easier to get rovers out for, but,  I am one of the few who
do this on a "regular" basis.

Yes, there was a hamfest immediately before the 6 meter
sprint here in the P.N.W.  but this allowed a "dual
purpose" trip.  Run down to the hamfest 4 grids from home,
then "rove" back...  Only worked from 3 grids this time;
the spring sprint last year I managed to work from 4.
  The new, larger rover rig is a "stop and shoot" operation
with only a driver/operator on board, so pulled off in two
rest areas off of the main drag home, and made the first
QSO's from the hamfest parking lot. Conditions were not
good, but still worked another rover from two different
grids, (First QSO two grids away, BTW) in two different
grids.  Hardly a "circling" operation as the other rover
was working a corner and my route was Linear, Northbound.
My second QSO with the other rover was to an adjacent grid,
but the DX between us was still around 50 miles.
Of course, I wish more folks could have gotten on the air
for the event.

History:  My first rover rig was named during a two meter
sprint, while attempting to work the previously mentioned
corner.  Buried it in two feet of snow.  The rescuers did
not plan on roving that contest, but, made a few qsos on
their way up the hill to tow me out.  Needless to say, my
stay in that grid square was longer than planned.
Eric
KB7DQH