RE: [VHFcontesting] Cell Sites

To: <w3sz@comcast.net>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>,"VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] Cell Sites
From: "George Burton" <k7wwa@saber.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:18:05 -0700
If you decide to let the cell system on your property be sure to include an
interference clause in the contract. Make it very clear who is responsible
to solve any problems, even if you decide to add something new or change
your equipment. In the two-way radio field normally the new guy on site is
required to solve any problems, at their cost. That means that the cell
company would provide and pay for any future cavity filters that you need to
use to prevent or minimize interference to your amateur operations.
Also you need something in the contract that addresses them sub-leasing site
space to another user. If that happens you should receive a cut of the rent
that is being paid to the original cell company. Based on what I have seen
on radio sites, due to security concerns most companies do not allow another
user in their building but some will allow a second or third building next
to their building.

Since I live on the other side of the country from you I will not attempt to
name a dollar value for rent but remember a good site is worth money. A cell
company will try to get in as cheap as possible. I will say that I am aware
that to company that I work for was paying over $1000.00 a month just to put
up the building and a short tower. It rent has increased as more equipment
was installed in the building.

Free cell service from that company for as long as they are on your property
with a reasonable limit on your calls. If it would be a benefit to you,
demand it.

Consider the services of a professional site manager to make sure you
receive a fair deal. It will cost you some of your rent but you might be
surprised at what your location is really worth.

73

George
K7WWA