Re: [VHFcontesting] DEM 2m Transverter (144-28CK) Kit

To: "DUGAS, JASON A. (JSC-EP) (NASA)" <jason.a.dugas@nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] DEM 2m Transverter (144-28CK) Kit
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:50:45 -0400
Jason,

I put together my 144-28CK a couple of years ago. It's not all that hard but IMHO its not for a beginner. The trickiest tasks are winding several small diameter air-wound coils and getting them soldered onto the board in the right shape. Cutting and tinning the sub-mini coax for the output, and soldering it to the PCB requires lots of care. Finally, in my 1995-vintage unit the only SMD (surface mount device) parts were the MMICs, but there may be more in recent models. These have to be soldered with care.

Craftsmanship in your construction is the biggest issue, and that only comes with experience. The DEMI docs are plenty good. Tune-up is a breeze with only normal ham test gear AS LONG AND NOTHING GOES WRONG.

If I had it to do again, I'd spend the extra $100 and get the assembled and tested version, but that's just me. I'm very pleased with the two DEMI transverters (144 and 222) which I have.

Dave/K8CC