[VHFcontesting] Re: Rule precedence

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Rule precedence
From: Richard Clem <clem.law@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:55:35 -0600
>was put in place to make sure that a bus load of 30 people can't drive
>around contacting everyone manufacturing contacts.

>That would require a new category... Multiop rover.

I guess I didn't express my point very artfully, so let me try again.

I agree, since there is no multi-op rover category, the 30 hams in the bus
would not be eligible to compete in any category.  They could not be in the
contest, other than, perhaps, to send in a check log.

Rule 1 states:  1. Object: To work as many amateur stations....

This rule does *not* state that you can work only other contest stations.
Thus, when the rover bus rolls through town, and I work all 30 stations
aboard, I have made 30 perfectly valid contest QSO's, even though the hams in
the bus are not in the contest.

Thus, it could be argued (quite properly, in this somewhat egregious example)
that those 30 hams artificially increased *my* score.  But the rules don't
prevent this, other than to say that those 30 cannot compete in any category.

In the same way, when my XYL and I make a contact with W1XYZ, it could be
logically argued that we are artificially increasing W1XYZ's score.  But the
rules do not prohibit this.

And unfortunately, we are not "captive rovers", so we will artificially
increase the score of anyone we work.  (My earlier generous offer to serve as
a captive rover was never accepted by anyone, so we'll just have to stick to
working anyone we hear.)

On the other hand, it does not give us any advantage, since if both of us work
W1XYZ, I might miss out on the next QSO.  In the context of a VHF contest,
it's not a huge disadvantage, but it does mean that my score is lower than if
we would have used a single call.

Finally, have fun in the contest, which is the only reason we'll be out
there!

73,
Rick W0IS