Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:12:05 -0500
David Olean wrote:
>     I spent a bunch of time making a 3456 looper array. It has 448 elements.
> If I apply any handicap to that band,  I am sure that 448 elements would put
> me in the highest category no matter what.

Considering 8-watts of 3456 energy into 448 elements is certainly a LOT of ERP,
then I'd say that one deserves to be categorized HP.  On the other hand, if one
wanted to be categorized LP, then simply reduce their RF output to a level that
keeps them under the ERP threshold (whatever it ends up being).  They get to use
their new antenna AND compete fairly against other similarly ERP'd stations.

The proposed system works! :)

>     I am still smarting from the limited multi op category implementation
> where microwave activity plummeted and many rigs for 903 and up gathered
> dust on the contest weekends.

Absolutly agreed, Dave.  If the category is called MultiOp, and the difference
from Single Op is the number of operators...then Limited MultiOp should limit
the number of operators -- NOT the number of bands.

Here's looking forward to putting FN03 into your logs!
Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.