Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes [was:Stupi

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes [was:Stupid Categories ...]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:57:26 -0500
> From: Kenneth E. Harker [mailto:kharker@cs.utexas.edu]
> Putting up multiple antennas per band is a FAR better way to improve your
> chances of making QSOs than going from 150 to 1500 watts out.  I think
> you are trying to encourage people not to invest in big antenna systems, Ev.
> I think every one should have the best antenna systems they can come up
> with.
> Ya know - use-it-or-lose-it.

You really need to spend more time *not* impuning my motives, Kenneth.  I am not
"trying to encourage people not to invest in big antenna systems".  I am
offering a fairer way to categorize HP and LP participants based on ERP rather
than raw RF output.  Again...refer to my previous example.

Put another way...the present system is based solely on RF output.  Simply add
antenna contribution and you get a fairer system.  Too easy, huh? :)  This is
much easier than any formula you needed to learn in order to get your license in
the first place.

On the other hand...on the MultiOp front..."use it or lose it" is the reason
that I believe that LMO and MO categories should be based on number of operators
rather than number of bands.  A different thread, but related.

Ev, W2EV

--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.