Re: [VHFcontesting] operating procedure

To: Marten T Beels <martentb@goshen.edu>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] operating procedure
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:43:13 -0500
On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 02:19:27PM -0500, Marten T Beels wrote:

> Hello all, I'm working out final details for my September contest
> venture and have found a friend to go with me.  However, he's even
> more inexperienced then I am, so we still have a few questions.
>
> What I'd like to know is, do we use one call sign?  We're both
> bringing radios and will take turns operating and logging.  I know
> that the rules state that we can't both operate on one band at the
> same time, but I can't find the answer to my question in the rules.
>
> When he takes his turn at the mic (or key) does he call himself
> KC8HZM (my call sign) or does he use KC8HZQ (his call sign)???  My
> guess is that we use one call sign for the both of us, he thinks
> that when we use my equipment we use my call sign, and when we're
> on his radios, we use his call sign.  Who is right?

Using multiple callsigns from the same contest station during a contest is
against the contest rules.  Specifically:

ARRL General Rules:

3.3. An operator may not use more than one call sign from any given
     location during the contest period.

3.5. A transmitter used to contact one or more stations may not be
     subsequently used under any other call during the contest period,
     except for family stations where more than one call has been issued,
     and then only if the second call sign is used by a different
     operator. (The intent of this rule is to accommodate family members
     who must share a rig, and to prohibit manufactured or artificial
     contacts.)

General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands Above 50 MHz:

2.3. Rover: One or two operators of a single station that moves among two
     or more grid squares during the course of a contest.

2.3.1. A rover vehicle may transport only one station using a single call sign.

2.3.2. A rover may not operate with more than one call sign.

2.3.3. Rover vehicles must transport all the equipment, power supplies, and
       antennas used at each operating site.

2.3.4. Rovers sign "rover" on phone and /R on CW after their call sign.

2.3.5. All Rovers are encouraged to adopt operating practices that allow as
       many stations as possible to contact them.

2.3.6. Rover operators may submit separate logs for single operator (fixed
       station) in addition to their rover entries. Rovers submitting a score
       for inclusion in a club competition must also include a secondary
       summary sheet indicating the portion of the score which counts for
       the club score if any of the QSOs submitted take place outside of
       their club's territory.

So, if you're operating portable or single-operator, you can use two
callsigns if and only if you have two completely separate stations that
you never intermix.  If you are a rover, it is clear that you can only use
one callsign.