[VHFcontesting] How to Captivate a Rover

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] How to Captivate a Rover
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Wed Jul 30 21:22:41 2003
I will share this publicly, because I know that no Rover subscribed to the list
will, for fear of the repercussions.  What you are about to read is the honest
truth.  Choose to believe it and prosper in our radiosport, or choose to stay
ignorant.

Truth #1: Rovers have more fun when they are able to make a contact.
Truth #2: Mega Multiops are better equipped than most of the rest of us
Truth #3: Mega Multiops are better staffed (more contesting experience and
          real-time peer motivation) than most of the rest of us
Truth #4: Mega Multiops make it easy for rovers to work them on a lot of
          bands as quickly as possible

Do you want to work more rovers?  Make it easy for them to work you!
Re-read the above.  It is profound for many of us on the list.

o Get a better station
o Develp better operating practices

The truth is, they WANT to work you...but you don't make it very easy for them
to.  If they are "captive", then they are "captivated by the professionalism and
ease of working" megamultiops.

You want a piece of the action?  Quit making them spend 10-minutes trying to
find your puny signal...make the QSO...move on to the next band...and if you
fail to make contact, expect that they're already gone in an attempt to find
another signal that actually has a chance of being strong enough to get logged.

The bottom line is: you can captivate your own rover...by increasing your
station's performance and developing personal operating skills that make it easy
for them to work you.  They'll remember you in their next grid.

None of these factors are contained in the log that is submitted to the ARRL.
Therefore, I submit that the data contained there is insufficient to
appropriately analyze within the context of identifying a possible violation of
Rover Rule 2.3.5.

Ev Tupis, W2EV