[VHFcontesting] Timely results = Increased activity &bettersubmittal?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Timely results = Increased activity &bettersubmittal?
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:52 2003
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 11:29:06AM -0400, wbr wrote:

> Wouldn't this take away the incentive to migrate to the higher bands.
> The extra points are what it's all about.

I do not think it does - because the extra mults are a clear incentive to
move to the higher bands.

I think the added mults are enough of a draw to get you
on those bands.  Out here in Texas the mults are the
only draw at the moment since the number of stations is
very limited and it is common to have scores that track
very close to a 1 to 1 QSO to mult ratio.

When the point structure was created for the VHF contests
the mults were states (or was it sections) in any event
the possible mults were much lower and of course on the higher
bands much futher away in many cases. Thus it might have made
more sense to award hihger points for those micorwave contacts.
It was also more difficult to build equipment for those bands.
Now it is possible to buy working transverters off the shelf
up to at least 24Ghz.

In the current era of grid squares there are many more nearby mults to work
and even folks like us in central texas have alot of mults to work
within 200 miles.

In the past 200 miles would not even get us out of the state.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net