[VHFcontesting] Powering microwave amps from portable supplies

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Powering microwave amps from portable supplies
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com (kr7o@vhfdx.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:51 2003
I am looking at incorporating a 10w Avantek 5.7G and one of the 3.4G
Toshiba amps into my portable microwave station and I am curious as to what
other people are using for regulated supplies for the odd and in some cases
fairly critical voltages needed to power these amps.  In the case of the
Avantek, I am talking about the modified units requiring +10.5v and -12v,
and of course the 12.6v for the Toshiba amps.

For portable operations I typically use two 12v deep cycle batteries that
will range in voltage between 11.5v and 13v over the course of the
discharge cycle.  -12v shouldn't be a problem, but I haven't found zeners
or other voltage regulators of the proper voltage and current ratings for
the other voltages.  12.6v is even more of a challenge without some sort of
DC-DC converter (but again I haven't found any surplus converters that
match the needed conditions).

I could always build an AC power supply for the proper voltages, but then I
need to carry a potentially noisy inverter (and the overhead necessary to
power that).   Resistive voltage dividers are a possibility, but still do
not provide the level of regulation that appears to be needed to protect
these devices, and also waste precious battery stores.

So, what is everyone using to supply these amps.  Hopefully I am missing
something simple here.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o@vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (Norcal WSWSS activities & KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)