[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules Revisions - Part III

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules Revisions - Part III
From: callbill@hotmail.com (Bill Olson)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:45 2003
>If your contest operation is all about maximizing _your_ contest score, as
>rover, then you're right - that's would be operating in good sportsmanship.
>But, if your contest operation is all about maximizing the score of zz2zz,
>then I would argue that is not in the spirit of fair competition, and is
>unsportsmanlike and unethical.

I don't know HOW you could possibly police this withoutout making the rules
ridiculous. I would say that amateur radio contests have survived quite
nicely for 60 or 70 years and there have always been some stations who were
on to benefit another station, not their own. I don't know if this is
"unethical" or not. If I get on at 10:45 local on Sunday night and just look
for and work my buddies to give them a point, that is MY CHOICE. My buddy
benefits. I don't. So what?? He still actually works me.

I don't know... I like things to be "fair" too. But I am competitive by
nature. I look at the rules, figure how I can operate "within the rules" to
better my own score. I figure the stations I am competing with are doing the
same thing. If my competition cannot afford a kilowatt amplifier, i do not
run 100 watts in order to keep it fair. I run 1500 watts! I play within the
rules and then do everything I can to win. Change the rules, I'll figure out
the next way to get the edge.. That's the nature of competition.

bill K1DY