[VHFcontesting] Re: ARRL VHF Contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: ARRL VHF Contest
From: timm@cccomm.net (Tim Marek)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:44 2003
How about this idea...

Get the league to release the ENTIRE log database file per contest to those
who participate so we can do our own analysis of activity.

Or better yet, since THEY already have that file, they could do the analysis
themselves and quit using log submissions as a excuse to "make a case to
quit sponsoring the VHF contests".

True, they havnt said that.... YET!  But they are sure acting like they are
planning to go that way!

What makes me think that is their goal?

Item One - They quit publishing contest data in the club newsletter,
otherwise known as "QST".

Item Two - They complain log submissions are down without going to the
trouble to see just how many unique callsigns appear in those logs in an
effort to verify the "true level of activity".

Item Three - They say things like "other than the number of logs submitted
they have No other way to judge activity in the VHF Contests" - I dont buy
this simplistic excuse!

Item Four - They wont release said log files for others to do their work for
them, let alone study things like 6m Es propagation, activity levels per
grid, per band, per call area, etc... Some real cool data could be extracted
if that file was made available!

That being said, the league does alot of cool things too, but they also seem
to have lost focus of where they started... A club of active radio amateurs
trying to have fun, improve the technical expertise of their hobby, and
provide a public service...

Not improve the bottom line of their bank balance.

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09ol... sk

"What We Leave Behind Is Not As Important As How We Have Lived"  Capt
Jean-Luc Picard