[VHFcontesting] Re: Tower section refurbishment questions

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Tower section refurbishment questions
From: cboone@earthlink.net (cboone@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:28 2003
DONT!! grind off the zinc galvanizing....use paint thinner or stripper.
that wont harm the zinc but will remove the paint after a day or so..
just brush it on, let it soak in, rinse or wipe off....repeat!
There is a paint remover that looks pink and will PEEL it off in sheets
with no harm to the metal....
BUT if the zinc coating on the tower sections is in good shape and there
is no rust, DONT use a grinder on them....the zinc is hot dipped on
and will protect the metal for decades if left alone....if you start
stripping IT off, then try to COLD galvanize, it will not be as good
and you could end up WITH rust in areas you wouldnt if you use a brush
on stripper formula.

Chris
WB5ITT