[VHFcontesting] Tower section refurbishment questions

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tower section refurbishment questions
From: RR124640@Exchange.AtlantaGA.NCR.com (Rogers, Ron)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:28 2003
I would definitely find a metal working shop that has sand blasting
capability or a regular sand blasting company. Well worth the expense if you
plan to make your paint job last a long time. A whole lot easier to write a
check for a professional job verses all the time you will put in wearing out
yourself and brushing wheels. And, you'll never get those brushing wheels
down into the bracing weld areas.
However, be ready to start painting your tower immediately after the
blasting.....surface rust will start immediately due to the excellent job
the sand blasting will do. Rustoleum is good....even better if you use a
coat of Rustoleum "Fish Oil" primer sprayed on first.
I've tried refurbing many tower sections by hand over the years and I will
never do it again as long as there are sand blasting services available and
the tower is disassembled.

Ron
-WB8ERB-