[VHFcontesting] Tower section refurbishment questions

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tower section refurbishment questions
From: wbr@verizon.net (wbr@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:28 2003
Jacob,
    I refurbished my Rohn 25 about two years ago.  It may not have been in the
shape yours sounds like.  I'd recommend not using a grinder at all.  There are a
number of paint remover products that are thick and can be easily applied with a
brush.  Apply liberally and let it sit for awhile then hose it down with water.
If it is badly rusted you may want to treat it with a product called Ospho
(sounds like osffo) it's a mild phosphoric acid, and turns the rust black or
greenish black.
    There is an excellent product called TEM 800 cold galvanizing paint.  It's a
high zinc content paint that when it dries it looks like the original Rohn 25
galvanizing.
    My tower is approximately 25 years old now and still looks almost like new
after refurbishing with only a wire brush and painting with the TEM800.
    If you only have two sections to do you will only need about three spray
cans worth of the TEM 800.
My tower is 75 feet and required about ten or twelve cans of spray.  It really
does an excellent job.
    Good luck w/ ur project.  73,  Bill, -=WF4R=-