[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: km3t@contesting.com (Dave Pascoe KM3T)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:06 2003
> True, but if I in FN22 hear a signal to my SW and hear "Georgia Pa" odds
> are it will be K8GP and I already know their call and six digit grid
> from last year as they know mine. I still won't log it til the info gets
> passed. Besides, with a callbook program you can get the grid and
> location from the call anyway.

And this is exactly where some contesters (HF and VHF alike) lose QSOs.
Just copy what you hear, and log it.  If you don't hear it, don't log it.
And if you decide to use a database, and that station turns out to be
portable somewhere, and you log it, and you're wrong, you should get
docked.  I forget what the penalty is in VHF contests for miscopied
grids, but in my opinion this is something that we don't want to
encourage.

Anyway, the main point some of the guys here are trying to make is that
one should do what they're gonna do, but do it within the rules framework
*and* do it during the contest, not before (or after, for that matter).
Once the contest ends, the log should be closed and sent in.  Unless you
made notes during the contest for things to fix and you couldn't fix them
because of some software problem etc.  But no post-contest "research" etc.

-Dave KM3T