[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:06 2003
On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 10:46:26AM -0700, John Geiger wrote:

> The bigger problem I have is with the ARRL and CQ
> removing "Unique" QSOs from logs, as they did in my CW
> SS log.  It was a valid contact, the exchange was made
> correctly, and it says nothing in the rules about how
> a QSO only counts if both stations involved have
> worked several other stations during the contest.
> What motivation do I then have for getting some
> friends on for a contest to had out a QSO or two?
> I contact should be counted as good unless there is
> ample evidence that it wasn't-like miscopied
> exchanges, etc.

This is a common misconception.

You do not lose points for "unique" QSOs in the Sweepstakes.
The log checking software identifies them for you, and
puts them in your UBN report (for _your_ education and benefit,)
but you are not penalized for them.  My UBN report from the
2001 phone Sweepstakes has 10 uniques in it, and 8 busted
callsigns.  I was only penalized for those 8 busted callsigns.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops