Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Posts

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Posts
From: john simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 15:03:11 +0000
There are a ton of variables here. An engineer will hopefully chime in.

Variables:

  *   Guy wire angle
  *   Tower/antenna wind loading
  *   Wind speed area of USA
  *   Soil stability
  *   Height above ground for guy anchor point
  *   Safety factor
  *   Number of guy lines
  *   and etc

Many areas, even rural ones *REQUIRE* a PE-stamped engineering drawing for your
installation, plus a permit of some sort. I'd suggest looking at this point
before doing anything else. Sometimes the cost of fulfilling these requirements
is onerous and may preclude your project.

Some back of the envelope ideas:

  *   Don't use pipe! Square or round tubing has a much higher bend strength.
I-beam would be much better
  *   Remember the lever principle. The longer the length of the anchor steel
the stronger it is.
  *   Use concrete!!!
  *   Rent a power earth auger to dig the holes
  *   The anchor steel should be installed angled away from the tower
  *   Read the tower plans! They should give the load on each guy line and
that'll give you an idea what the bend strength of the anchor steel should be.
However since you are short-guying the load will be much higher

***Re-think your plan! Compromising tower installation is a very risky
business, especially when you consider what might happen should disaster occur.
Insurance companies.... lawyers...

73
-de "Curly" John NI0K
QRZ.com<https://www.qrz.com/db/ni0k>