Re: [TowerTalk] EHS cable and torque bars

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EHS cable and torque bars
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 21:33:32 -0400
The 3/8 shackle that Rohn recommends for the torque bar has a Ø3/8 bow, this
does not meet the minimum pin diameter for either the 3/16 or 1/4 preform.

I have never had a heavy-duty thimble crush from an insufficient pin
diameter.

It was an interesting question.

John KK9A

Steve Maki K8LX wrote:

I was shocked yesterday when I saw the pricing. But any of the Rohn
torque bars I've seen over the last 50 years are plenty strong enough to
handle 1/4" EHS, I guarantee.

The 3/16" EHS limit may be something as simple as the hole size in the
bar. If you look at specs for preforms, 1/4" requires a 1/2" thimble and
minimum 1" pin. 3/16" only requires a 5/8" pin.

But look, the OP is installing a 50' tower. We tend to go overboard
sometimes around here.

-Steve K8LX