Re: [TowerTalk] EHS cable and torque bars

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EHS cable and torque bars
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 12:30:05 -0400
$325 each, Rohn is very proud of their torque bars.  In my opinion they do
little to resist tower twisting.
I think you'll have to ask Rohn why there is the 3/16 EHS limit.  I had an
issue once and Rohn was very responsive. Is it possible they are not rated
for 6,000#?  I believe a good 3/8 shackle is.

John KK9A

Mike WB2FKO wrote

I acquired some used Rohn 45G in very good shape and will be going up 50
ft. Antenna will be stacked 2 x 9-el for 2m. I'm following the Rohn
engineering guidance very closely: base is a new R-SB45G buried in the
prescribed concrete block along with GAR30 guy anchors, also in
concrete. I have the older style guy bracket for 45G that has (very
expensive!) TB45D torque bars
<https://www.3starinc.com/rohn_45g_torque_bars_for_use_with_guy_bracket_r-tb
45d.html>
along with several hundred feet of brand-new 1/4 in EHS for the guys.
According to the Rohn instructions, however, I can't use EHS cable
that's greater than 3/16 in:

https://www.3starinc.com/manuals/ROHN_Torque_Bar.pdf

This means I'd have to buy either smaller EHS cable or their newer guy
bracket that doesn't use torque bars. I'll do this if I have to, but I'd
sure like to understand why 1/4 in EHS is a deal-breaker for the torque
bars. QTH is north Florida so I want to make the setup as storm-proof as
practical. Any insight appreciated.

Mike WB2FKO