Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C31XR Modeling

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C31XR Modeling
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 11:08:08 -0800
On 2/21/2023 9:47 AM, David Needham wrote:
I came
up with that the impedance of the transmission line must be about 120 ohms
to get the approximate curves with the stock dimensions.

A pair of #12 THHN taped together is in the range of 105 ohms (two colors to keep track of polarity). Twisting the pair would likely raise Zo slightly. I see zero reason for a third conductor. With a line that short, I would not expect Zo to be critical.

We've often used a C3SS when operating portable for CQP and 7QP county activations, and found that it is very picky about chokes. It does like the right number of turns of #12 THHN around a 2.4-in o. d. #31 Fair-Rite toroid.

73, Jim K9YC