Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Life Expectancy

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Life Expectancy
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 21:22:04 -0800
On 2/14/2023 4:30 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
Ultraviolet from the sun is what degrades PVC I believe... ?

That's my understanding as well, but I don't know it to be a fact.

I do, however, have additional experience with vintage coax from several manufacturers that I, along with many of N6RZ's neighbors, helped his widow remove from his station (indeed, to break down all of his station, including several towers). I also helped her catalog his "stuff" and dispose of it.

Much of his stuff was sold, but I took a lot of the coax to a meeting the large contesting club of which we were both members, and offered for the taking. Nearly all of it looked to be in good shape, nearly all of it being pretty good quality stuff, but I'm guessing much of it was 20 years old. Everyone turned their noses up at it, so I took it home, made stubs out of it, and measured them, plotting attenuation vs. frequency. Out of several dozen stubs, only one showed any significant degradation, the coax from which it was made came from a shed and the shield showed significant oxidation from water intrusion. I think a lot of folks throw away a lot of good coax for no good reason.

My conclusion was, and remains, that unless coax has suffered either that sort of damage, or is of quality that is damaged by UV, it's going to last a long time. I experienced significant water intrusion due to construction of a dipole center insulator that allowed leakage into the coax -- water flowed through more than 150 ft of coax to the entry panel! Visual inspection showed oxidation of the shield had begun, and loss measured with a VNWA had increased a bit in the 6-8 months since it had been installed. This was RG11, either Belden 8213 or an equivalent from Davis RF that measured like 8213.

73, Jim K9YC