Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Life Expectancy

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Life Expectancy
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 13:29:33 -0800
On 2/14/2023 12:49 PM, Art Greenberg wrote:
Note that "brand X" claims to be suitable for outdoor use.

Designing and specifying large systems for performance facilities, I learned that there's a lot of "brokered" cable being sold by companies that don't manufacture it, and don't know anything about their properties. To avoid getting junk, I had to list specific brands into specs for contractors to bid on.

One of the more revealing phone call was to one of these brokers that a bidder wanted to use. When I asked to speak to their chief engineer, I was connected to a young lady who, when I asked where she got her EE, she responded, "IBM."

What brand did you have trouble with? The jacket of LMR-400UF has long been known to not hold up well. Many years ago, I learned that the hard way when I bought some from a Chicago-area contester at a hamfest. I've never had trouble with Belden cables.

73, Jim K9YC