[TowerTalk] Coax Life Expectancy

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Life Expectancy
From: Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:49:56 -0500
I just had to take about 250 feet of "brand X" coax out of service because the outer jacket is cracking. Three runs up my 50 foot crank-up tower hanging from a support at the top, and three runs from the top of the tower through the rotor loop and up to the antennas on the mast. The cable had been in service for about 2-1/2 years here in north-central Florida (near Gainesville).

The cracking occurred in places where the cable moved (the rotor loop) and where it did not (taped to the mast or boom). Where the coax was protected from the sun in a length of split loom, it didn't crack.

In some places the braid was easily visible behind the cracking. I did observe water exit the cable when I applied pressure to the cable in a horizontal run.

I have both "brand X" and "brand Y" cable running in underground conduit from my entrance panel to the base of the tower. Where the cables exit the conduit and make the short run to the tower, I can see the cracking in "brand X" but not in "brand Y". In fact, "brand Y" still looks new. I am putting off replacing the cables in the conduit. It will need to be done eventually.

I'm relatively new to this location, having moved from New Jersey 12 years ago. This is my first experience with coax failing in this manner, and my first experience with "brand X." Is this to be expected in my location? Is "brand X" exhibiting expected service life?

Note that "brand X" claims to be suitable for outdoor use.

TIA.

--
Art Greenberg
WA2LLN