Re: [TowerTalk] More Radials = Higher SWR???

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More Radials = Higher SWR???
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 19:57:01 -0800
On 2/5/23 5:29 PM, Steve Jones wrote:
Dennis,
Use an antenna analyzer to see what's going on.  I recently used a RigExpert
AA-54 to tune up my 160M vertical with elevated radials.  It provides a lot
of good data!
73,
Steve
N6SJ

Or any of the recent crop of $50-100 VNAs..(NanoVNA, NanoVNA2, NanoVNA-F, NanoVNA-H, NanoVNA-4, etc.)

One of the nice things with the VNA is that you can do a calibration at the end of the coax, so you don't have to figure out what the coax is doing to the feedpoint impedance.  I mean, you also need to measure at the source end of the coax, because that's what keeps the amplifier happy, but when trying to figure out what's going on, the VNA provides a lot more information.