[TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast
From: Dave KØEKL <k0ekl@outlook.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 23:08:35 +0000
To ease maintenance I want to relocate my rotator to the bottom of my tower.

The existing mast is 2" diameter ¼" wall 6061-T6 aluminum tubing. The rotor is
8 feet below the top of the tower / thrust bearing.

What is the best way to join additional lengths of tubing together to reach the
bottom? I'm thing about buying tubing that is 2" ID, cutting it into 18" or 24"
sections, slitting it and slipping it over the 2" OD sections to be joined and
clamping with SS U-bolt clamps like those sold by DX engineering. Will this
provide enough coupling friction between sections to prevent slippage?

Also, can I get away with using 1/8" in wall 2" OD tubing from the existing
mast to the base of the tower or should I use ¼" wall all the way to the bottom.

Thanks.

-Dave K0EKL