Re: [TowerTalk] vertical distance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] vertical distance
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 22:06:17 -0700
On 8/15/2022 9:39 PM, w5jmw@towerfarm.net wrote:
The dxe 75/80 meter verticals and the phasing box.I have entertained thoughts on selling.No one wants to come and pick them up.SO.I am going to put them up.They will be in somewhat of a line with my 55ft tower.What is a safe distance? By that what distance so the 55ft tower/w beams.wont see the verticals? 1/4 wave is easy.1/2 wave may be a problem...what do you say??

All those vertical conductors WILL see each other. There are no "safe" distances. HOW they interact will depend strongly on their layout and heights. This is a system that demands a simple NEC model that includes all of them, including any others you may be overlooking, like the feedlines for horizontal antennas. My 120 ft tower is 210 ft N of my 100 ft Tee vertical for 160M, and it acts as a reflector, with a bump of about 2-3 dB to the south with a matching dip to the north.

My only verticals are for 160M, because I'm in a dense redwood forest, and the trees suck up vertically polarized RF much more than horizontally polarized RF. I have resonant coax-fed dipoles for 80, 40, and 30, each with a serious choke at the feedpoint and an additional choke fairly close to the ground to act like an "egg insulator" to break up the feedline so that it doesn't interact with the 160 antennas.

Here's all it takes to build a serious choke.
http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

73, Jim K9YC